August and September are the Atlantic Hurricane Season when the waters really heat up and we see the bulk of storm activity. We never know the exact location of where the most damage will be seen but the point is to know what to do in the situation and be as prepared as you possibly can. Here are some helpful tips to assist you in being prepared.
- Stock up on nonperishable foods, drinking water, batteries, diapers and formula for infants and pet food for animals.
- Know you evacuation route. Know where you should go and how you would get there.
- Make a list of your emergency numbers and keep them close by.
- Create and emergency communication list in case you are separated from your family and friends. Include all your home, work, school and cell numbers and exchange lists with family, friends and neighbors. Keep the lists in multiple locations like home, work and in your car. In addition, designate a contact person who lives outside the area for everyone to reach in case of evacuation.
- Keep a small supply of cash on hand. Banks may be closed and ATM’s may be inoperable during a storm.
- Make sure you have enough prescription medicines to outlast a storm and its aftermath.
- Refill you first aid kit.
- Check all battery-powered equipment. Emergency cooking facilities and lights will be essential if utilities are interrupted.
- Charge up or check your camera batteries. You may need to take photos of damage after a storm.
- Take inventory of your valuables and your home. Make a videotape, take photos and keep a written log.
It’s always a good idea to double check your Insurance Coverage for Hurricane Coverage. Buy early because coverage becomes unavailable once a storm reaches the Gulf. In addition, Flood Insurance has a 30 day waiting period once the policy is written.
Should you have any questions on your current policies or would just like a review to see if your insurance coverage is adequate for your situation. Contact us by completing the “Get a Quote” form to the right or give us a call at (281) 488-8880. We look forward to hearing from you!