Renters Insurance for College Students

Get rental insurance to protect your college studentWell, it’s that exciting time of year again when the kids go back to college. When our little birds leave their nests that have been fashioned with all the finest parental comforts, and off they go to their dorm rooms and unwashed clothing and cafeteria foods. While our children are relatively safe on college campuses, there are some things still that we as parents should be concerned about.

Between 2005 and 2007 a third of all crimes committed on college campuses were robberies according to the Department of Education. This number accounts for over 15,000 of all reported criminal activities. On top of that the things that a criminal would look for in a student’s dorm room are things your son or daughter would need replaced immediately. Items such as smart phones, tablets and laptop computers are easily taken but not always so easily replaced, yet urgently needed.

Schools are covered but are your student’s belongings?

And of course these big college campuses have their buildings insured. Should a fire start or a water pipe burst or the building flood, these buildings will be replaced with little or no cost to the university. And you can be rest assured that our children will be housed and the dorm rooms repaired and all will be hunky-dory for the semester to continue. The same can’t be said for the valuables inside the building belonging to our children. If little James’ laptop suffers water damage he will need that replaced immediately and the cost of the replacement will rest on him and/or his parents.

The stereotypical “broke college student” isn’t a far cry for many of our kids as they live on campus. They have their meal plans. They have shelter. They have clothes and a place to launder their skinny jeans and hipster cardigans (although I hear that socks come up missing more often than anything). But many of the students and parents don’t have the funds to replace a laptop or iPhone should it be stolen.

That is why Farmers offers rental insurance.  A renter’s insurance policy through Paula Smith Insurance will replace your child’s valuables in the event of a theft, flood, fire, vandalism, hailstorm, windstorm, explosion, glass breakage, falling objects, building collapse, vehicle damage, civil commotion and much more.

Don’t wait for disaster to strike. Rental policies are inexpensive and range from $20 to $50 per month depending upon your coverage needs. Contact us at (281) 488-8880 to get more information and let’s get your student covered today.


Leave a Comment